Sunday, November 24, 2013

Thank You, Fish Restaurant


The Uncle Sam Balloon at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day is
three-stories high and requires 32 people to handle it.

A special oyster special at
Fish Restaurant, West Village, NYC
Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday. My Christmas spirit is shiny and new, and glitter starts to run through my veins. Marking the beginning of my favorite day? The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, the only-in-America showcase of outdated balloons, show tunes, and celebrity cameos.  For everyone who gets to see the parade in New York City this year, bundle up (it's going to be a cold one) and make time for an oyster break.  Head out to the West Village for my favorite oyster special of all time - The Red, White and Blue at Fish Restaurant (280 Bleeker St.) It's a half dozen Blue Point oysters (or clams) and a PBR (or a glass of house white or red wine) for only 8 bucks!  Now that's something to be thankful for.

On my last visit this summer, I skipped the special - Kumamotos were in. No other NYC restaurant had them on the menu that day and I was about to find out why. I also ordered a Spinney Creek and a Fanny Bay.





Spinney Creek (Eliot, Maine)
This is a great example of a Northeastern oyster.  It was very briny and finished with a pleasant sea plant taste.   It reminds me of the tried-and-true Malpeque.  Much larger than its West coast partners on the plate.  I would definitely order these again.

Spinney Creek
Spinney Creek
(Eliot, Maine)

























Fanny Bay (Baynes Sound, British Columbia)
I know this oyster has a lot of fans.  I am not one of them.  That said, I have never met an oyster that I didn't like, and I appreciate this one-time experience.  From the soft texture of the meat to the harsh algae overtones, this was a tough one for me.

Fanny Bay
Fanny Bay
(Baynes Sound, British Columbia)
























Kumamoto's (Pacific Northwest, USA)
I left the Kumos for last.  Kumamoto's started in Japan and found a suitable home in the Pacific Northwest.  The shell is beautiful - delicate, small, ruffled along the edges.  Design aside, the meat was sweet with no briny flavor. Unfortuantely, it was mushy. Summer storms and other less than ideal conditions didn't make it the best time to eat Kumamotos. Many people say that Kumos are a good beginner oyster, I guess because of its mild flavor and small size.  I disagree. The taste is complex and it packs a punch in its tiny package.  If you're just getting your oyster feet wet, I would suggest waiting.

Kumamato
Kumamoto
Pacific Northwest





























Before I sign off, I have to tell you about one more seafood special at Fish Restaurant because after oysters, steamed blue crabs are my favorite meal.  For $25pp (it's NYC), Fish offers all you can eat steamed blue crabs that would impress any Marylander.  The catch - ya gotta get there before 4p. And it's only available during crab season.


All-you-can-eat Blue Crabs - bib and all - in NYC.



A heartfelt Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who reads Oyster Stew. I'm thankful for you, my friends and family, and to the first brave man who ate an oyster. Cheers!

Fish Restaurant
(West Village)
280 Bleeker St.
New York, NY

As of this post, the Fish restaurant website was down, hopefully not for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment