Sunday, September 29, 2013

Grand Central Oyster Bar: Still Hip at 100



Last night, the 11th annual Oyster Frenzy at NYC's famed Grand Central Oyster Bar wrapped up an epic week of oyster events in New York City. Making this year's event even more special: Grand Central Oyster Bar turned 100 years old. In an industry measured in dog years and in a city obsessed with the next trendy restaurant, 100 years serving up oysters is simply impressive.

I had the good fortune to visit Grand Central Oyster Bar this summer - wowsa! It's magnificent and quaint; timeless and trendy; luxurious and laidback.  And perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but it's really in Grand Central Station.  It features a popular sit-down restaurant (reservations highly recommended), an open-air oyster bar, and coffee shop seating - all under one roof.  I'm such an oyster dork, but I was so excited to be there that, to be honest, I didn't pay much attention to anything on the menu except the oysters.  Really, I have no idea what they serve otherwise.  Here's a link to their daily menu in case you are interested.


On the day I visited, there were 26 varieties of oysters.  I chose three:
  • Moonstone
  • Martha's Vineyard
  • Kiwi Cups









Moonstone (Naraganssett, Rhode Island)

I have been taken to the mountain top. Bitingly salty. Fresh finish. Tender texture. Perfect. I'm blinded by love. Anytime I see these on the menu, I will order them. I will eat them in a box, with a fox, in a house, with a mouse. I will eat them anywhere.

Doubly good: Eating a Moonstone at Grand Central Station is one of 25 oyster experiences on my oyster bucket list. Smiling as I check it off.

Moonstone (Rhode Island)




Martha's Vineyard (Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts)

Like its namesake, Martha's Vineyard oysters are a perfect preppy oyster.  Their shells are super cute. Inside, the meat is sassy salty. Tight flesh. Bright, cucumber finish. Big thumbs up.

Martha's Vineyard (Massachusetts)





Kiwi Cups (New Zealand)

Ummm. Kiwi Cups. You know that dual-flavored gum that starts off as mint and then turns into pineapple-mango? That's kind of like Kiwi Cups.  They are confusing, and not in a good way. They start with a strong, salty burst of flavor, then they finish with a loud, metallic bite. As always, I'm glad to have had the opportunity. Thankfully, for the sake of the oyster, Kiwi Cups have a huge international fan base.

Kiwi Cup (New Zealand)


Happy 100th

Happy Birthday Grand Central Oyster Bar. Let's hope that the work being done to save our oysters ensures that the restaurant and our bi-valves will be around for another 100 years. Let's also hope that recent renewed interest into using oysters to create natural barriers to prevent flooding continues on its current track. And if you have a few minutes this week, check out the incredible work pioneered by landscape architect and Columbia University professor, Kate Orff. She has encouraged 'oyster-tecture' as an option to clean up New York Harbor, connecting our natural environment to our urban environment. More oysters - whether meant for eating or cleaning or preventing flooding - means we're on the slow climb back to rebuilding our oyster beds on the East Coast.








Grand Central Station, Lower Level
89 East 42nd Street
New York, NY
212.490.6650







No comments:

Post a Comment