Thursday, March 21, 2013

Oyster Girls Know How to Have Fun!

Oyster Girls - Jazmine, Elka, Tamara 

Some people just make you smile. That's how I felt when I found The Oyster Girls - sisters Aluxa and Jazmine Lalicker. They are everything a good oyster should be: mysterious, sexy, fun ... and hard working.  Who are The Oyster Girls?  They are the genius behind a mobile oyster bar.  Traveling mostly through the San Franciso Bay area, the sisters set up oyster bars for parties, corporate events and weddings.  Their oysters come from the Tomales Bay (famous for Hog Island oysters).  But it's not a grab-and-go relationship.  They actually work out on the Tomales Bay Oyster Co. oyster nursery, watching their oysters grow from spat to the "perfect designer half shell oyster."

Here's my cyber-chat with these ostreaphile chicas:



What gave you the idea for this company?
My mother always fostered creativity and ideas. She raised two girls that could dream and not be deathly afraid to fail. This lead us to spending many nights coming up with business ideas for fun. Most of them presented just for the silliness of the idea and others for the "strike it rich" dream. The Oyster Girls was an idea that seemed very attainable, fun and satisfying. We just kind of dived into it and used all the skills we had acquired and we have learned many more along the way. It is not easy to run your own business but I like the risk. It is a better way to gamble away your hard earned money - that is how I see it. And so far things are looking alright for us.

Aluxa Lalicker (co-owner, The Oyster Girls) and Liz

What's your favorite oyster tidbit that you share with customers that always surprises them?
Most people are surprised to find out that oysters are a live product. But obviously we don't like to weird people out at the oyster bar, so we wait for people to ask us questions and we focus on "entertainment" like telling bivalve jokes. ...

Do you know what an oyster girl does on her night off? rock-er-fella

You offer wine, beer and booze tastings.  What's your favorite(s) drinks to pair with oysters?  Do you choose the same for East Coast or West Coast oysters?
We are a unique oyster bar in the fact that we only offer local oysters grown in Tomales Bay. We are lucky to live in an area where we can get such an delicious array of local wines and micro-brews so it is hard to pick a favourite. Jaz is the bubble girl and I am a beer girl! As for booze, I like a splash of cucumber vodka on my oyster, topped with zest of a Meyer lemon.  As for the pairing parties, our clients provide the drink and we create the sauces and provide the fresh oysters.

Is there anything on your oyster bucket list?
Since I just had sashimi geoduck the next thing would be .....to go to New Orleans! A year after we had already decided on a name for the business we discovered that The Oyster Girl was also a famous burlesque show in the 1940's  .... she can still be found on stage today. [Editor's Note: Click here to find out more about Evangeline the Oyster Girl.]

What's your favorite recipe for an oyster shooter?  
This is going to sound simple but the secret is in the garlic. LOTS of garlic, dash of Tabasco, fresh horseradish and some tomato puree. O and vodka of course.

What were the first oysters you ever ate?
I don't remember what kind it was, but I do remember I was on a date with my grandfather who was taking me out to teach me the etiquette of dating. At the age of 12 he took me to a fancy oyster house, Oyster Rockefeller in Tulsa Oklahoma. I loved them! On my 21st birthday the only thing I wanted to do was enjoy a plate of oysters on the half shell while sipping a cold beer in public :) and that is what I did back at the same restaurant my grandfather took me too.

Jazmine Lalicker
Co-owner of The Oyster Girls
Besides Tomales Bay oysters, what are your favorite oysters?
I favor any oyster that has come straight out of the water. The fewer the days, hours or minutes between being out of the water and being shucked and slurped, the better the oyster! I truly love them all. I love the differences you can taste in oysters from around the world. I love the briniest oyster as much as the mineral sweet flavors just as much as the sweetest melon flavor.




Good luck ladies!  Can't wait to shuck oysters with you soon.


San Francisco Bay Area
707-694-3755



No comments:

Post a Comment