Sunday, February 3, 2013

"Super" Supper: St. Anne's, Hurricane Herbs and Elmore Bays

Hope you're enjoying the chicken wings and Velveeta (please, even oyster snobs look forward to best crappy food day of the year!)  I won't be eating oysters today, so I snuck some in last night.  Despite living on the coast of North Carolina, finding fun, provocative raw oysters on the half shell isn't easy.  When I have a craving, I usually drop in at Brasserie du Soleil.  It's a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.  I don't know how he gets the oysters he does, and I don't ask.  The mystery adds to the je ne sais quoi.

Here's what I tried last night:




St. Anne's, Nova Scotia, Canada

Hands down, my favorite of the night was the St. Anne's from Nova Scotia, Canada.  The cups were super deep, the meat delicate, and the brine present but not too powerful.  They were also bigger than most Nova Scotia oysters I've seen.  The St. Anne's were a special surprise and I'll keep my eye out for them in the future.

St. Anne's from Nova Scotia, Canada



















Hurricane Herbs, Prince Edward Island, Canada


Next came the Hurricane Herbs from Prince Edward Island (PEI), Canada.  I'm generally wary of cultivated oysters that look so different that they could be brothers from different mothers.  Shallow shells.  Limp meat.  I wouldn't kick them out of bed, but they weren't my favorite.

Hurricane Herbs from Prince Edward Island, Canada




















Elmore Bays, Lee's Cut, North Carolina

As I was leaving, Chef Engel suggested that I taste the Elmore Bays, a local oyster harvested near Lee's Island, NC.  Hmm... I was intrigued.  I will eat local oysters - steamed - all day long.  Raw?  Not as much.  The jury is still out for me on the Elmore Bays.  They were good.  Not great, but very good, and that's something to be excited about. I'm thrilled to see that the southern North Carolina coast is starting to consistently produce raw oysters to be proud of.  If you remember, I spent a day with Ronald Sheffield, who is tenderly growing Topsail Sounds in about the same area as the Elmore Bays.  The North Carolina boutique oyster industry is getting interesting ...  Thanks for the oyster Chef.


Elmore Bays from Lee's Cut, North Carolina


















From oysters to football.  I'm from Baltimore, so I guess my money is on the Raven's this year.  Trouble is, I just haven't been able to commit to an NFL team since the Colts left Baltimore.  On the other hand, I have always liked Joe Montana.  It's like choosing between a Glidden Point and Skookum.  Both make a statement, but it's hard to say who's the best.  Enjoy the wings and nachos!







1908 Eastwood Rd
Wilmington, NC  28403
910.256.2226

No comments:

Post a Comment